Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pre-safari reality check

The last few days have been tough for me mentally and emotionally.  Now that the Morrissey road trips are behind me, I realize that ALL is left between me and safari is 19 days.  Gulp.  Two more workouts with my trainer.  One more haircut.  One more paycheck.  Three more weekends.  Yowza, it's coming.

I'm reminded by dear friends that I went through this mental mind game before China too, thinking how daunting, out of the box, scary and freaked out the trip would be.  And I survived that, and survived it well.  And I'll survive this and love it as well too.  It's just the between then and now that is playing with my head.  Stop, slow down, breathe.

Our tour operator sent the final itinerary for blessing on Friday.  A couple of minor tweaks and we are good to go.  She also assigned us a guide, so now I wonder how much Said will shape and influence our trip.  I've heard absolutely wonderful things about him both on the reference calls and on the forums.  I can't wait to meet him and have him show us Tanzania.

At some point soon I should think about practice packing, to ensure I'm not overdoing it.  But until then my focus is on becoming more zen-like and relax into it.

Maybe I need a vacation more than I thought!

No comments: