Thursday, April 19, 2018

And then there is Kenya....

While all my mental energies have been focused on thinking about and worrying about Peru, there's the promise of Kenya still 6+ months off.  Everything is booked but for the airfare to JFK to catch the flight to Nairobi from there.  I was waiting for JetBlue to open up their dates that far out as my preference is always to go with them. 

When JetBlue finally opened the dates, I was faced with a conundrum. With a noontime departure out of JFK, is it possible/smart/risky to fly down that morning from Boston? Sure, in November, we shouldn't have to think about weather or other seasonal delays.  But this being New England and me being me, I worried.  And then I started to feel like I really ought to go down the day before and be there, building in a buffer that would allow me to get there some other way if I had to (train, bus, drive myself).  So that's when I realized the smart thing is to fly down the night before and get a hotel room at JFK.  Sure this is an added expense of an essentially lost vacation day and a $200 room that eats into my savings on the incredible Kenya Airways fare, but I've spent the last 4 days-of-departure for safari literally refreshing the Logan Airport webpage for blizzard-related delays and cancellations.  It's intestinal distress I don't need.  So I'm doing it.  I just hate to burn that day off...

Everything else is pretty much in order for that.  It's old hat now, with a packing list and standard routines and rituals.  I'll just need to re-fill my anti-malarial and off I go.  My camps are booked (and they are STELLAR, I'm so excited) and my private visit to the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage is reserved.  Now it's just the waiting.

No comments: