Thursday, July 5, 2012

Must get my act in gear!

Somehow, my trip to Berlin has gotten lost.  If you've read any of my blogs about planning prior trips, you'll already know that I'm seriously behind the 8-ball in terms of planning.  I shouldn't say that; at least I have air, hotel and a reservation at the Green Vault in Dresden booked.  But other than that, I'm woefully unprepared.

I'll admit it: my mind is fully latched on to safari, and the idea of safari, and planning safari.  In fact, we really should have safari booked by the time I GO to Berlin, so in that sense I'm not that far off in terms of anticipation and excitement.

What makes me feel ok about being more lax than usual about Berlin is that it's "just" Europe.  I've been there, done that, and can probably pack for it and leave in my sleep.  Sure there are all the little logistics like organizing the cat sitter, stopping the newspaper, etc.  But compared to Russia and China, Germany is so much easier to prepare for.  That said, I should probably buckle down and read the travel guides some more and line up what I want to do and see, just so I know what can happen when I hit the ground there.

All is not lost however.  This week I started listening to My Daily Phrase German.  So far I can say "hi", "bye", "please" and "thank you".  That's a start.

So with a 5 day weekend to recover from a minor surgical procedure...I should accept this down time as the gift that it is: a perfect excuse to do nothing but plan.

No comments: