Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Departure Day

Well, the first of two departure days.  Today I fly to NYC and stay there overnight.  That's all to lessen the risk of a too-tight connection tomorrow morning.  I can sleep in and have a leisurely breakfast.  Tomorrow I leave for Nairobi, approximately 14 1/2 hours direct (although yesterday's flight was a mere 12 hours! Go figure!)

Best news of all, however, I got my upgrade!!  I did pay a bit more than I wanted to, but as my stress level increased over the course of the last week and my anxiety about 15 hours in coach went through the roof, I just caved in and bumped the bid up a little.  I got the notification yesterday that I got the upgrade.  I get my seat assignment when I check in tomorrow at JFK. Phew! This is my first trip in Business class, so I'm looking forward to making the most of it.  I'll find out if I get the return flight the day before my flight home.

I don't know what it is, but everything becomes about 100 times more stressful the week I'm leaving.  Work has been tough, I've been worried about parents and cats (one of whom has taken to scaling the valances in the kitchen just this week; those have been removed).  And then I come home, repack and head out to Mexico City a week later.  I must be mad!

I said to a colleague yesterday that on Friday when I'm at the Emakoko, all this stress will seem so far away.  I just hate that I let it get to me.

So many sightings on my wishlist for this trip:  the Fast Five cheetah coalition, Marsh Pride, Lucky the Lion, leopards, serval cat.  And I'm looking forward to seeing my friends at Offbeat Mara again and meeting Ping the guide at Enaidura.  But really, I just want to enjoy it.  I wonder what magic I'll be writing about in the coming days on this here blog...

No comments: