Thursday, November 1, 2018

Departure Day #2

Thursday, November 1

Firmly settled in to the Delta Lounge at JFK’s Terminal 4.  Already the upgrade has been worth it.  Expedited security (although I screwed up and left my iPad in my bag...which I’m allowed to with TSA Precheck, but all bets are off on international flights, so I had to be rescreened) and now lounge access.  I wish I’d waited to have breakfast, the oatmeal looks good!

Flew from Boston to JFK last night.  I’m too risk averse to attempt to make it here by 10:00 am on a weekday during hurricane season.  I gate checked my larger carryon because it wouldn’t fit in the overheads on the Embraer.  It showed up no problem at the baggage claim although the “gate-check your bag so it comes off the plane first” theory is a myth.  Still only had to wait 7 minutes for it.  I was checked into the Courtyard and in bed for Chicago Fire at 9.

A very restful night (amazing what no day to day stress does for you!) and up at 8 for shower, breakfast and then shuttle straight to Terminal 4 (no AirTrain today, which I had to do last night).  I am glad I came the night before if only to get a good night’s rest and to not deal with the stress of getting to Logan this morning and being here early.

This is only the 4th day of this flight operating and they’re still working out the kinks.  Only 6 people were checking in at 9:40 and each one needed a manager to answer a question.  They’ll figure this out, it’ll just take time.

I got my seat assignment, 3G in Business class.  And the predicted flight time is now 12 hours 40 minutes, which is 2 hours shorter than planned.  I’ve been watching this flight all week and it has arrived early but the return flight has been late.  I’ll deal with the late return next week.  I have a 3 hour cushion which should be fine.


Charging my iPhone batteries now and making sure I have all the shows downloaded that I’ll need.  My plan to take Ambien and sleep for 7 hours has been thwarted somewhat by the shorter flight.  Need to formulate a plan now.

No comments: