Sunday, November 18, 2018

Withdrawal

Once the flight finally took off, it was over 15 hours home.  I managed to sleep for nearly 10 hours of that.  The first time I woke and checked our progress on the maps, I had only 4 hours left.  I think the last night of partying with the camp got the best of me.  I filled the last few hours watching Chappaquiddick and having breakfast.  I could get used to lying flat in Business Class!

I’d hoped that a 3 hour window at JFK would be enough, but alas, it was not to be.  We touched down at 7:37, a full hour and 20 minutes late.  After taxiing, I was luckily the first off the plane.  It was a long haul on foot to Immigration, where thankfully I have Global Entry so I whizzed through there.  Then on to the AirTrain to transfer to the next terminal over for my JetBlue flight to Boston.  That’s where the wheels started to fall off.  The security line there was insane.  Even TSA Precheck was sort of crazy.  But it moved relatively fast.  I got to my gate at 8:20, when it was supposed to start boarding for a 9:00 departure.  Luckily, the inbound flight hadn’t arrived yet so I had time to use the restroom and get an iced coffee.  Landing at 9:40 (early!) I was home by 10:30.

In retrospect, this was, hands down, the best safari I’ve been on.  For many reasons, including the accommodations and the sightings.  But I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you can have the best accommodations in the world, but without the absolute best guides, your safari will be hollow.  Ping was amazing.  Words really can’t explain just how darn good he is! 

Now that my jetlag is almost gone and there’s only one dose left of my anti-malarial, I’m itching to book another one.  I feel like another one is in my future...likely fall 2019.  I’m already mentally counting the days.

No time to pour over my photos, I’ve spent the weekend repacking and cleaning the house for our trip to Mexico City for Thanksgiving.  No rest for the weary!

No comments: