Saturday, May 11, 2019

Day 11 — The Journey Home

Somehow I managed to sleep a pretty deep, restful sleep.  I think the walking and fresh air yesterday made a difference, not that that’s not what I’ve been getting all along.  It just felt good to be going home.

It seems that Munich’s transportation system continues to vex me.  I had a nice leisurely breakfast, expecting a quick walk to the S-Bahn and the 40 minute ride to the airport for a mere 11 euro.  After successfully managing to cram everything back into my carry-on suitcase without expanding it, I exited the hotel and walked past the long line of taxis thinking to myself, “ha, I won’t need you at your exorbitant rate” in the heavy rain, the first I’ve seen this trip.  It’s only about 800 feet to the S-Bahn, so I wasn’t too wet when I got down there.  I bought my 11 euro ticket and headed to the underground.  Except I kept bumping into gates and signs and other obstacles keeping me from getting to the S-Bahn.  It’s then I realized that my lack of German meant that I missed all the signs saying the S-Bahn out of this station is closed this weekend.  Doh.

I asked two guys in orange “Information” vests how else I might get to the airport.  They said “just” take the U-Bahn one stop and then take a bus to.... Wait, wait, wait.  Bus?  I’m out.  Forget that.  I have enough commuting nightmares at home, I don’t need one now.  I whipped out my ATM card, took out 100 euros and ran back to the previously eschewed taxi queue.  The driver was a cute little old guy who spoke almost no English.  I asked how much and he said 70 euros, but then used his hands to show me sometimes a lot more, sometimes a lot less.  I hopped in at 9:15 and off we went.

Cute little tax driver guy asked me if I was American and from where.  I said Boston and he said “east side”, so we understood each other.  I then felt the need to say “No Trump, bad man” and waving my hands back and forth.  He laughed and said “American, all legal”.  Interpret that how you will, but I think he’s saying “that’s what you get for everything being allowed in your world.”  Then he said “Mauer, 3000 kilometers Mexico” and I knew Mauer meant wall and I said yes, yes, bad.  He shook his head and tsked-tsked.  That was the sum total of our conversation.

We pulled into the airport at 9:50 and it was 70 euros on the dot, which he proudly pointed out to me. I tipped him well and headed in.

Security here is piloting a new product that allows you to stay fully clothed and leave everything in its bags while it goes through.  I opted to try this out and made it through.  I half thought I’d be up for inspection given how tightly packed both my suitcase and personal item are.

While I’d prefer not to have spent the extra cash, it was worth the expense not to have the hassle.  Some things are.  I hope that’s the extent of my challenges getting home.

No comments: