Friday, May 10, 2019

Day Ten — Day tripping

Friday, May 10

The last day of this epic vacation is finally upon me.  Honestly, Toronto and Krakow both seems like months ago and it feels like I haven’t been home for a year.  I think that’s the sign of a good vacation?

I didn’t sleep long last night.  I was up before 6:00 just waiting for the alarm.  With my train tickets in hand, I went off to Hauptbanhof today and all transiting went off without a hitch.  I left here at 8:00 and was seated in my seat on the train by 8:20.  Go figure.  It was a quick 1 hour 45 minute ride to Salzburg.  I left my hotel in blue skies and sun, left the Munich train station in overcast and it remained overcast for the entire journey.  The weather situation here is quite changeable quite quickly.  Even though it looked gloomy I had a hunch if I waited long enough I’d see some sun.

I arrived at the Salzburg train station, exited and bought a bus ticket out front.  4 stops to the river and I got out to walk across.  From the bridge, you get a great view of the Old Town, with all its church spires and steeples and the fortress up on the hill.  It was really quite pretty.  The Old Town itself isn’t terribly big; it’s maybe 4 or 5 streets deep and if it’s a mile long, that’d be a lot.  It’s the interlocking squares that make it fun to stroll around.  I started the journey in the overcast and wet sidewalks, rain having just passed through, following Rick Steves’ audio tour again (makes it easier than reading while walking) and saw most of the main sights in the Old Town, then got hungry and decided to find a place for lunch.  

I ate my big meal of the day here and it was excellent.  I had cheese dumplings, which was basically like macaroni and cheese only it had fried onions on the top, which really just made it perfect.  There was a side salad too, which I picked at but couldn’t finish.  The waiter was deaf and had trouble hearing me, but he yelled at me about getting a Muscat rather than a Riesling, and I was fine with that.  I’d have ordered dessert there but I really didn’t want the whole joint hearing what a glutton I am while on vacation.

I went back out to walk some more, picked up a three-pack of Mozart balls (like Lindt chocolate truffles) and strolled.  I found a cemetery shared by five churches and it was tiny and oh so peaceful.  The graves were very well taken care of, but I learned that they are on 10 year leases and if they’re not paid up and taken care of, the inhabitants are dug up and booted out.  There was one interesting grave of an American army sergeant who appears to have died there during WWII, and his wife.  It’d be interesting to know that story.

By now the overcast was nearly gone and I could see blue sky and strong sun, so I retraced my steps and retook some of the photos from earlier with blue skies.  It got so warm that I shed my jacket and was glad I opted not to wear extra layers this morning.  I definitely didn’t need them.

I took the funicular up to the fortress and was figuratively knocked off my feet by the spectacular view of the Alps from the back-side of the fortress.  There is a panoramic terrace up there and I had no idea we were that close to those snow-covered peaks.  I don’t think I’ve ever been that near to the mountains like that, so I took time to really appreciate that.  There was a storm coming in over them which reminded me of what it is like to watch the storms creeping across the savannah in Africa.  I could just see it coming right toward the city.

I slipped around to the town-side of the terrace and was struck by that view as well.  Salzburg really is something to behold, but especially from up high.  It really is picture-perfect.  And I don’t say that about many places!

More strolling and window-shopping for a while and stopping to listen to a couple of buskers, including a 4-piece tuba oompa band, until I’d made enough room for dessert.  I stopped in to Cafe Mozart (how touristy can you get in his birthplace anyway?) and had a slice of apple streudel with ice cream and a cappuccino.  A delightful way to end the daytrip.  All in all I’m really glad I chose to do this on my last day.  It was a refreshing, relaxing way to wrap it all up.

I hopped back on bus #1 and headed back to the train station, ready to depart at 4:55 p.m.  It was a quick and efficient trip back to Munich.  I’m still full from lunch and just finished packing (I got it all to fit, I think!) so I’ll settle in and read tonight I think.  My flight’s at 12:30 tomorrow so I’ll leave here around 8:45, I think.

No comments: