Thursday, January 11, 2024

From the land of the eternal layover in Amsterdam…

Left home at 3 pm with a misty goodbye to the kids.  I swear they both knew something was going on because they were clingy and not napping or eating the early supper I tried to feed them at 2 pm.

Fairly quick drive to airport parking and dropped at the international terminal in good time.  Got to check in at the first class lane and then zipped to the Sky Lounge in Terminal E.  Well, zipped is perhaps an understatement, as this is the first time I’ve flown out of the extended terminal E, which I think is now double the size and of course my flight and the Delta lounge were both at the farthest end of the new extension.  It is pretty snazzy though, and close to world class.  From what I gathered only Delta international flights were using it the day I passed through.


The Delta lounge was pretty empty.  Free drinks and nibbles though, so I had a G&T and some picked over buffet items: mac and cheese and a pickled beet slider.  Before I knew it, it was time to board.


Delta One is meant to be their equivalent of first class. All the seats are pods with sliding doors.  The seats lie flat to sleep.  I found it a bit claustrophobic and didn’t close the sliding door but a guy near me did nothing but slam the door most of the flight, so yeah, not a lot of solid sleep there.  I watched half of the first season of West Wing, dozing in and out of it.  The meal was ok, the highlight being a really tasty celery soup (who knew?).  I would have liked the Buratta ravioli, but my special meal was a vegetable curry over rice.  And an ice cream sundae with all the fixings for dessert.  I was too full from all that to bother with the breakfast.  The flight arrived in Amsterdam on time, which was a concern of mine the last few days due to storms, but it was nary a problem, and not more than a little bumpy in spots too.


I spent part of the 3 1/2 hour layover in Amsterdam in the KLM Lounge.  It’s pretty huge and has several restaurants/bars and other amenities in it.  I had a cappuccino to fight off the caffeine headache I would have otherwise and then found some little dutch pancakes and a banana.  My thought being that I’d have lunch coming soon, but just needed something to tide me over.


I’d heard from someone on Trip Advisor that the flight from Ams-Nairobi had been running late and hers two nights before me was over 2 hours late.  Lo and behold when I checked for my gate in Amsterdam, it was showing a half hour delay.  That turned into 45 minutes and then into an hour.  So here we sit waiting for takeoff.  I’ve queued up some tv shows and movies to binge, and maybe I’ll get some sleep on this leg.  


This plane was meant to be 1-2-1 configuration, but a late plane swap (and flight number swap, which showed up as “cancelled” and nearly gave me heart failure) meant that Business Class is 2-2-2 configuration, and I’ve lost my window seat.  First world problem, and still far better than being in coach for the next 8 hours.  I was trying not to stress because it’s fully out of my hands, but I just want to get there.


The service on the KLM flight was the best I’ve had anywhere.  One flight attendant in particular was very sweet and kind and took excellent care of me.  The special request food for vegetarians had what appeared to be chicken in it so I basically ate bean salad, rice and desserts all day today.  I am not a fan of KLM’s veg options, clearly.


One part of coming here that I completely dread is immigration on landing here in Nairobi.  In February I was in Business Class and among the first 20 off the plane and in line for 75 minutes.  At the end of 20+ hours in transit, that just sucks.  Well tonight I won the lottery. I scooted off the plane first, and ran like heck.  Met the guy who was to take me to the hotel and was first in line in immigration!  So I cleared immigration, exchanged money and was in bed at my hotel within 40 minutes of landing!  Huge score.


It was about 70 at midnight and the ground is wet from recent rain.  They said it has rained a lot more than usual, but not all day and not every day.  This is supposed to be their dry season but El Niño has other plans.  After a few years of severe drought, they really need it.


I get picked up at 8:30 tomorrow for my flight to Lewa.  It’s on!  There were so many times today when the travel got to me and I said “this is it, I can’t do these flights again” but once I landed and met the guide here and started talking to him, I knew this is where I belong.

No comments: