Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Note to self: do not freak out

There is an episode of The Office in which Michael Scott has made a video of his past self speaking to his future self.  Future Michael has just found out that the woman of his dreams is single, and he’s over-celebrating, freaking out really.  Past Michael tries to calm him, steady him, and rein in the freak out.  For my next safari, I need to make that video for myself.  Except Pre-Trip Me is not freaking out with joy but rather pre-trip anxiety.  It happens every.single.time.  I worry about the weather (hello massive wind storm tonight!), missed connections, leaving the cats, leaving my Mom, leaving projects undone at work.  Yesterday was so manic trying to get everything wrapped up at work that I actually told a friend “it’s just not worth it.”  I’m writing this now to remind myself when I read it back later that this happens, every time, and it always IS worth it, every time.  And nothing I catastrophize ever comes to fruition.  And to remember that when things are quiet and sedate again, make that video to Pre-Trip Me.

My super safari planner sent me my SafariLink tickets yesterday so I’m all ready to roll.  I’ve packed, re-packed and triple checked everything.  The nagging fear of forgetting my battery charger or plugs is overwhelming.  But it’s all packed.  And I realize I’m truly manic about this.  

So tonight all I have to worry about is the wind, when it will stop and will any airport delays clear up so that I will make the connection (3 1/2 hours) in Amsterdam.  As if my worrying changes anything.

But I am looking forward to so much, like HEY Business Class on all my flights! And two new camps! And rhinos!  And a bunch of cheetah cubs near one camp!  

Hopefully tomorrow at this time I’ll be well underway.  It’s actually here!


1 comment:

Burry said...

I also always think, "I don't want to do this" right before a trip, but I know that is the anxiety talking so I ignore it! One of my best travel moments was missing our Heathrow connection due to fog so we had to wait 24 hours for the next flight. We spent a day at Windsor Castle which I am pretty sure I never would have seen at any other time (hotel, food, snacks on British Air).