Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Almost departure day!

 How did I get here?  That was the fastest wait for safari ever! Literally, and figuratively!

Since I last posted, lots has been in play.  I had an interesting visit with the travel medicine clinic.  The doc I'd seen since 2011 has retired, so there's a young whippersnapper in place now.  I got my routine boosters (MMR and tetanus) and walked away with a script for oral typhoid vaccine, anti-malarial and antibiotic.  But the larger discussion came around rabies vaccine.  Now, I've never had rabies recommended for me for safari, or even for China, where I was working directly with pandas for a week!  The thought never occurred to me that that might be a thing for safari.  He almost convinced me, until he told me it's never covered by insurance.  "Ok then," I said to him.  "How much is it?"  He replied "$478, per shot.  For two shots."   Ugh.  (He did add that in the UK these shots are only $150 each, but I'll save my diatribe on US pharmaceuticals for another day).  As this safari has already had more than a bit of budget creep plus an unexpected camera rental cost, I used my cybersecurity risk analysis skills and decided to pass on it.  I would still need to get treatment immediately even if I have these shots.  But I was a bit unsettled by his parting words of "no one recovers from rabies....ever."  Ok then, moving along....

I finished my course of oral typhoid vaccine, so that's in order.   I've mostly packed everything I have.  I also got my Delta SkyMiles number added to my flights with the hope that the early boarding granted to Delta Gold AmEx members is a real thing.  I have a very tight turnaround in Nairobi (8 hours from landing to take off for the bush) and going all carry on is going to be critical, so I really need that overhead bin.

We had a brutal cold snap a few days ago, with overnight temps well below zero and windchill "real feel" well below that.  There was actually sea smoke rising off my favorite beach because the ocean is still nearly 50 degrees.  And yet, it's nearly 100 where I'm going this weekend.  Imagine 105 degree swing in a week?  Yeah, that'll be me.

Now I'm just contending with an odd mix of excitement, anxiety (traveling in a still pandemic-ridden world) and pre-emptive homesickness.  As much as I know I'll be fine once I get there, I'm hesitant to leave this little 35 month-long bubble of mine.  I worry about getting sick and what I'll do if I do, but I look at all those people on social media who are there and just having a grand old time.  I will be one of them.  Yes, that's the spirit!

I went to visit Dad Sunday and asked him to watch over me, but then invited him along, knowing that, as the angel on my shoulder, he will finally see why I love this part of the world so much.  Maybe he'll become addicted too and want to go back again.

Boston weather on departure day looks brilliant, a "pick of the week" with highs in the 50s and no precip in sight.  So at least I won't be shoveling my car out on the day I leave, as I have in the past.

The wildlife sightings I've seen at the camps where I'll be staying have just been epic lately.  I always look at those photos and start to hope, but quickly remind myself that only Mother Nature can deal that hand.  Whatever will be, will be.  Usually she's granted me sightings far exceeding anything I could ever conjure up, so I never expect and I never hope and I am always blown away.  And I always remember, even a slow day on safari beats the best day at work.

No comments: