Saturday, February 11, 2023

Halfway there…almost

A worrier by nature, I had a list of things that kept my insomnia in business the last few weeks.  One was weather, which is always dodgy this time of year in Boston.  On the departure day of more than a few of my safaris, I was shoveling snow the morning of.  The next was whether I’d manage to avoid having to check a bag.  Flying with the common folk in main economy on my first flight meant that boarding late may make overheads full before I get there.  Lastly is the worrying about getting sick in transit.

So far, I’m happy to report the weather was a non-issue and I easily got my overhead bin. Phew!

I’m now sitting in a lounge in Amsterdam’s Schiphol Airport wondering how I’m going to kill 4 hours.  At some point I will locate some profertjes (Dutch pancakes) and satisfy that craving before finding my next flight.

After a VIP drop off at Logan Airport thanks to my sister, I was surprised to find my usual haunt Vino Volo open for business, so I had a pre-flight flight of rosé wines and cavatappi pasta in a four cheese sauce.  Boarding was quick and easy and I put my new Trtl neck pillow on and suddenly realized we were about to land in Amsterdam.  I was down for the count until the egg and cheese english muffins came around for breakfast.  7 air-hours down, 8 to go.

For those who are curious, virtually no one is masking.  I’ve seen maybe 15 people so far.  I am masking, only to keep myself well for this trip.  I guess the biggest change since before times is that now when you wear a mask no one thinks you’re crazy.

I have Premium Economy on the Nairobi-bound flight, which gets me 4” more of legroom and early boarding.  I have at last 20 hours of tv on my phone to watch, so that should keep me busy.

Ok, off to walk for a while and get some blood flow back into my legs.

No comments: