Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I have jetlag and I haven't left home

I don't know exactly why this has happened, but after the earlier-than usual switch to Daylight Savings (damn you once and for all, W!), I am left with the lingering effects of jetlag. Yes, jetlag I said!

All was well and good on Sunday, because, well, it was Sunday, and I could sleep until 8 or 9 and not feel the effects. I should have known it would be bad when I looked to my soundly sleeping cat at 5:00 p.m., the time when ordinarily he'd be steamrolling over me to have his dinner, and asked him "Do you want supper?" and he raised and lowered his head, heaved a sigh and went back to sleep. Little did I know that that would be me the next morning.

So when the alarm goes off now at 6:10 it's pitch black again. It had taken a couple months to working back to hearing birds and seeing some sun as I got out of bed. Now it's pitch black and my body wants to heave a sigh and roll back over. Even the cat looks at me from his 3/4 of the bed and says "What-choo-talking about Willis?" when I go to get up. Even to him, the most nocturnal of animals, this is nonsense.

And don't try to counter with the argument that the daylight at the end of the day is better. I haven't found that yet. Last night I went to teach my spinning class and staggered across the parking lot in a sleep-deprived haze. It's the same feeling I have after a 7 hour overnight flight and then the fight to make it through my first full day without sleep. A dull ache in the temples, nothing but fog behind my eyes. And yes, I led a class of 17 through some sort of aerobic workout last night, but not without stammering all over myself and suffering some lack of coordination moves.

So maybe the earlier change will save on heat and electricity in the long run, but until I adjust to this new time zone, I'm entitled to be miserable.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Anderson said...

I was thinking something along those lines... I couldn't haul myself out of bed at 6-ish. Luckily I don't actually have to get into the shower until 8 AM. And to think I went to bed at 10 PM, which is really 9 PM, and getting up at 6 AM (really 5 AM) just wasn't working for me. So for the next week I'll likely get up halfway in between.