Thursday, March 27, 2008

The way it should be

I've been watching HBO's series John Adams and I am hooked. In a big way. As in, this may be one of the best things I've watched this year. It's not too late to get in on it, as all of the three previous episodes are on HBO On Demand too.

But just a point...(because you know I have to make one). It is interesting to see these Fathers of Our Country portrayed and see how little ego was involved in a lot of their decisions. Indeed, when the Continental Congress was urging George Washington to step up to be president, he hemmed and hawed and tried to back down, thinking he wasn't the best man for the job. Ultimately he agreed, saying "But I will do it if that is what is best for the colonies." I'd be lying if I didn't say that a statement like that was refreshingly surprising. Then I realized, wait a minute, that's the way it's supposed to be.

I think today's politicians need to take some time out and watch this. Take note, take heed. For the good of the country, that's what it's all about. Not the special interests, not the corporations or nations bankrolling you, and certainly not YOU. Certainly, definitely not you.

No comments: